I never understood people who went out and bought a whole new outfit for holidays, particularly ones like Fourth of July or St. Patricks Day. Purchasing explicitly holiday themed items has always seemed strange to me. I’ve never been the type to rock the American Flag on a t-shirt or even invest in an ugly christmas sweater. I like my clothes to work year round, or at least for the full season they are designed for. So I threw together this list of Etsy curated items that will work great for your 4th of July festivities, without making you look like the party decorations.
1. Ok, so this is more overtly patriotic than subtle, but isn’t this Vintage 48 Star Flag via Heja Home just the coolest?
2. This Lapis Totem Cuff by LaurelHill is amazonian goddess awesome.
3. Every wardrobe should have something akin to this Cherry Red Dooney and Bourke Purse via Box of Hollyhocks. Works. With. Everything.
4. Slip this 90s Vintage Cream Cotton Dress from Decades on over your swim suit when the sun gets low in the evening.
5. I am really no fan of being cold, so I would probably bring some jeans, like these Vintage Shredded Denim Levis 501 from Maeven Vintage, to slip into before the fireworks go off.
6. Patriotic or motivational? Maybe both? Guts and Glory Tapestry by Belles and Ghosts.
7. Denver is a classically American city, and this Vintage “Loved in Denver” Baseball T-Shirt from Raggedy Threads is just plain classic.
8. The Blue Devine Bralette could probably pass for a bikini top. From KateXTee.
9. A little pop of red brings in the our nations favorite primary color with this Hot Red Necklace from Wire Fox Jewelry.
10. I actually plan to wear this Gold Star Headband from Bloom Design Studio every damn day. Practicality be damned.
11. This snuggly red Aztec Poncho via PIYOYO will keep you warm as the night wears on.
12. Draw some inspiration from the classic American pin up and throw a cute Navy and White Polka Dot Headscarf on, like this one from Sassy Stitches by Lori.
13. There are so many craft brews coming out this summer and choosing between them all can be kind of tough. Expand your options with this Dual Beer Glass from the aptly named Pretentious Beer Glass.
14. Every living room needs a badass Vintage Metal Eagle Wall Hanging. Period. Haven Vintage will totally back me up on this.
15. Beach hair is the best. Beach hair that smells like strawberries? Uhm, yes please. Strawberry Beach Waves – 8oz from The Gnarly Whale
What are you doing for the Fourth?
San Francisco is a city full of bicycles and the people who love them. Considering the topography of this city, I find it impressive that so many people use a bike as their primary mode of transportation. In addition to that, I consider bike riding in the city to be a terrifying gamble with ones life, so I abstain. I’m accident prone, and SF is notorious for bike accidents so I’ll stick to MUNI and my own two feet, thank you very much. Perhaps when the streets become safer for cyclists I’ll invest in a bike of my own again. Perhaps something that looks like this? Until I get my own set of wheels I guess I can spoil my pedal pushing friends with some nifty accessories and pretty bike paraphernalia.
Honorable Mention: Hövding the Airbag for Cyclists an invisible helmet that revolutionizes biking and removes the conundrum of sacrificing style for safety. Halleluja!!
B is for Brother. Yeah, that kid. The one you spent most of your adolescence trying to either ignore or murder. Yup. Aren’t you glad you two have grown out of that? It’s much nicer on the other side, trust me. Realizing your siblings are your allies is sort of like a Homer Simpson “D’oh!” moment. You finally move out of your parents house and suddenly you come to this realization that all that time you wasted fighting with each other could have been better spent as a team. A unified front against the evils of Mom and Dad. Now that my little brother and I are friends, I always feel really compelled to find him an awesome Christmas present. That being said, we have completely opposing taste. He’s a backwoods snow bro living in Tahoe, while I’m the stereo typical vintage-loving hipster chick. Nevertheless, we have conflicting ideas about what is “cool”. So this gift guide is more a mash of things I think are cool than things my actual brother would think are cool. Except for maybe that recycled skateboard bench from Deckstool, Ty would totally be into that.
- Actually, my brother might be into these awesome vintage Ray Ban aviator sunglasses from Raybanicos, but who wouldn’t be?
- These cute mountain man handkerchiefs by Urban Bird and Co. are adorably Wes Anderson woodsman, dontchathink?
- Sorry, but this vintage southwestern jacket is dope. Actually, everything in Emmit Brown‘s Etsy shop is pretty dope. The man has taste.
- Take him back with some childhood mischief, like a hand crafted sling shot from Hella Slingshots. Get him this at your own risk, you never know when the truce will be broken.
- More 90’s nostalgia! I love the color palette and pattern on this awesome shirt from Big Brother Vintage.
- My brother is finally a man. He can grow facial hair that doesn’t make his face look it’s in the middle of shedding it’s winter coat. Now he needs to learn to take care of it, hopefully with this clever survival kit from Beard Buddy he can keep himself from looking too much like The Grizzly Man. Plus, it’s tested on beards, not animals.
Check out the rest of my picks for the brother you don’t call enough over here. Stay tuned for the rest of the alphabet!